Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sideshow, Pt. 2

Yesterday I said it was unlikely Mario Batali had been in the kitchen of the restaurant in his name at the Palazzo since it opened. Just to make me look bad, he showed up yesterday for a sustainable food and wine talk in the concourse between the Palazzo and the Venetian, and he hosted a dinner in Carnevino.

A little more on value - what's a better value than free? Not surprisingly, the sidewalks are jammed at sundown for the free shows on the strip - the dancing waters outside the Belaggio (which are synchronized to Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American"!), the volcano show (I overheard) at the Mirage and the "Sirens of TI" pirate ship show at the Treasure Chest. The latter attracts a sidewalk-blocking crowd, one that went away disappointed because the show was cancelled due to high winds.

... and it didn't surprise me a bit that Sam Butera's death was on no one's lips last night on the strip, and when I mentioned it to my wife, nobody who overheard my voice responded.

No comments: