Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Old Days Never Go Away

I was sorting through the "maybe" pile of CDs on my desk and ran across a self-titled album by Ladyhawke that brought to mind a conversation Scott from Pretty Goes with Pretty referred me to. A post on the Vivian Girls prompted a conversation in which he wrote:

I feel like I've heard a bunch of bands in the last couple weeks--Wavves, Gaslight Anthem, and Deerhunter, among others--that immediately send me back to another era. Even a specific band from another era. (That Gaslight Anthem record - wow, is emo already making a comeback?) Similar to what Dave is pointing out about Vivian Girls vs Tiger Trap (though I'm taking him at his word). That's not necessarily a recipe for disappointment, but it's still a little deflating.

The conversation crystalized my thoughts on this New Zealand electropop album. The songs have hooks and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some fun listening to the album, but I kept wondering, "We need another Berlin album ... why?"

No comments: