Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hall of Yawns

On my OffBeat blog, I wrote about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees:

I just received the nominees for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and frankly, I don’t know why I still pay attention. I feel like I’m in high school again, where rock equals classic rock, good equals dexterously talented, punk is suspicious and disco sucks. This year’s nominees: Jeff Beck, Chic, Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Metallica, Run-D.M.C., the Stooges, War and Bobby Womack. Who’ll get in? Beck (dexterity), Metallica (they rawk!), War (soul but not disco, and in their day, everybody talked about Lee Oskar’s talent, which equals dexterity) and probably Run-DMC, just to prove the Hall voters aren’t anti-hip-hop. Besides, with Aerosmith they rawked! If someone else gets in, it’ll be one of the oldies acts.

This morning, the inductees were announced, and I went three for four. Jeff Beck, Metallica, Run-DMC and Little Anthony and the Imperials are going in, with Wanda Jackson going in as an early influence.

No comments: